• College Students

  • Information for Current Students

    From the US Department of Education:


    What if my campus has closed due to coronavirus? Will I be able to finish the term and keep my federal student aid?

    Please contact your school. Many institutions are making arrangements (such as take-home assignments or online classes) so students can complete the term.


    If my campus is closed or only offering online instruction, will I still get paid for the hours I am unable to work for my Federal Work-Study job?

    If you’re unable to work your scheduled hours because of coronavirus-related disruptions (such as school or employer closures or student quarantines), your school may pay you for any scheduled hours or allow you to work by another means—for example, completing work online or remotely, depending on the job. Contact your school for more information.


    My mom can't go to her job because of coronavirus, and she doesn't get paid if she doesn't work. This means my financial need has increased. Can I get more financial aid?

    Talk to the financial aid office at your school. They have flexibility to work with students to ensure the students are able to stay in school.


    Someone in my family has coronavirus, so our whole family has self-quarantined, and I can't attend classes. How can I keep up in school, so I don't fail classes and lose my financial aid?

    We encourage you to contact your school’s financial aid office, as well as your academic advisor/coach or program coordinator for additional guidance about your financial aid situation. Your school can tell you your options for continuing in your program of study. Additionally, if you need to take a leave of absence as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, you should speak with your school’s financial aid office.

    Many schools have provided detailed coronavirus-related decisions and guidance for students. We encourage you to check your school’s website and verified social media accounts for resources and the latest information about this rapidly evolving situation.


    If my school moves classes online, am I going to get less financial aid?

    If your school has moved classes to an online format, you must continue to participate in the course work and follow your teacher’s or professor’s instructions to remain eligible for financial aid. If you have questions about the online format, contact your school.


    How do I contact my school’s financial aid office if the school is closed?

    Check your school’s website for resources and contact information. Your school’s verified social media accounts also may be a good source for the latest information about how to contact your school during this time. While many schools have transitioned face-to-face courses to online instruction, most remain open and available to assist their students with questions.


    Learn more.

    Loan Payment Information

    From US Department of Education:

    If you’re having trouble making payments, contact your loan servicer as soon as possible. If you have a Federal Perkins Loan, contact your school. You can easily avoid the consequences of delinquency or default by staying in touch with your servicer or school.


    Your servicer or school can provide information about deferment or forbearance options that allow you to temporarily stop making payments on your loans. You may also be able to change to a different repayment plan that would give you a lower monthly payment.


    For Texas state administrated student loans:

    If borrowers contact the Coordinating Board concerning their ability to make payments, staff will work with them to provide forbearance so that payments do not need to be made during this time.


    The Board is currently waiting for guidance from the Department of Education regarding any changes being made to the federal loan programs and will assess whether any of the federal guidance can be applied to state loans.


    For more information, contact the Borrower Services Department at:
    Toll Free: 800-242-3062

    Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

    The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) is working with all Texas institutions of higher education -- public and private, two-year and four-year colleges and universities, and health-related institutions – to address coronavirus-related issues and to provide the most up-to-date information and resources relevant to higher education decisions makers. Please find below links to several resources that may be helpful to administrators, faculty and other campus stakeholders as they navigate the weeks ahead. Learn more.